Wednesday, December 11, 2013

"BE YE SEPARATE"

It is amazing how God made the weather different throughout the year. I really enjoy the view of snow in the fields and houses all over town. I think about the warmth inside every home, and how a heater or a fireplace is just making things snug and comfy inside.  I know its kinda early but I hope you all have a good time with family this Christmas. I can't wait to see family myself, in a way, I'll be going home for Christmas.

As I started to read God's Word this morning in a rather too comfy couch I felt the urge to fall sleep again, but as I read the first verse of a chapter that would breeze off the sleepiness, I was reminded of the many times I've missed reading (looking, searching) and finding promises from God's word. As a family we have devotionals every evening and there's no missing it. but being consistent in spending time "alone" with the Lord is another story. I am encouraged that even though I "miss out" quite literally in seeking and finding promises, God is still faithfully taking care of me and waiting for me to come back and stand in awe as I read and learn.

So I've been reading the book of  2 Corinthians this week, and today I picked up where I left of in 2 Corinthians 7. The first verse says. (remember, this is when I was just about to fall asleep in that amazingly comfy couch). =D

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. "

It felt like I had started at the end of a chapter, and decided to at least go back one chapter.

The first few verses of chapter 6 talk about being good examples. so that no one can say that we have complained and so on and so forth. but being able to be good servants.....

".... in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses,
In stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings;
By pureness, by knowledge, by long suffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned,
By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left..."
In the last few verses of chapter 6 it talks about being separated. the word "holy" means being set apart, derived from, belonging to. We need to be set apart.

"....Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?...."

"....And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people."


 Theres so many things to talk about in this chapter, but I really want to focus on the fact that we need to be set apart. this passage reminds me of Matthew 7:13-14. It says,

13 "Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."

Strait is the gate and narrow is the way. Being in the narrow road means being set apart. 

Which makes me come back to 2 Corinthians 6,  the last two verses 17-18 says,

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. 
And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

Chapter 7

"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God. "


I think this is a good place to end even though it is the start of the next chapter. I do encourage you to look into scripture and be set apart, be in the narrow road towards the narrow gate. 

I'll be back soon.

Ernesto 

 









.

No comments:

Post a Comment